7 to 11 February 2018, Art Rotterdam Week is prominently present, and indispensable to true art lovers.
Art Rotterdam week 2018 exhibtions, fairs and pop-up shows
For a few days Rotterdam will be a proud city of art, offering lots of fairs and exhibitions. Organized in and around al lot of special places.
The Art Rotterdam Week’s programme is way too extensive to describe in one blog post. But we think, you definitely should visit these five. (At the bottom you find more information about the programme, locations, and transport).
1. Art Rotterdam – Van Nelle Factory
This ‘fair to discover young art’ is regarded as Holland’s leading international fair in the field of new art. From February 8 till February 11, art works will be exhibited in different sections at the Van Nelle Factory.
- Projections – video art
- Intersections – performances and installations
- Prospects & Concepts – the latest generation of Dutch artists
- New Art Section – solo presentations of young galleries
Even if Art Rotterdam would disappoint you (something we can’t imagine), the Van Nelle Factory itself is still worth the visit. This building is considered one of the most important industrial monuments in the Netherlands. But don’t worry, you will enjoy every part of Art Rotterdam. No doubt about it.
A few years ago, The Huffington Post described Art Rotterdam as a one of the ‘Top 5 Art Fairs’ worldwide. Need we say more?
2. OBJECT Rotterdam
This is a unique platform (9-11 February) for established names and young talent. Displaying limited editions and one-offs, all at the cutting edge of art, architecture, fashion and design. Whether you are a professional collector or just design minded, this art fair is accessible to everyone.
OBJECT Rotterdam is located at two venues: the HAKA building and the Euromast. The HAKA building is the main venue, where over 100 designers present their work. This is where you start your visit.
3. Rotterdam Photo festival
Over twenty containers at Deliplein (Deli Square) are the centerpieces of this extraordinary pop-up exhibition. These containers showcase photo series of more than 50 independant photographers from all over the world like Russia, the United States, Germany, England, Japan, India, and the Netherlands. Rotterdam Photo’s theme of the year 2018 is FAKE-TRUTH.
Besides these shipping containers, photographers are invited to exhibit their work in the outdoor exhibition Singles, displayed alongside the curated exhibitions.
The Rotterdam Photo festival (8-11 February) is free of admission.
4. NO WALLS Expo
Three years ago we had the privilege to look around during preparations. We saw a surreal collection of contemporary sculptures and (video) installations.
NO WALLS (7-11 February) is an Art Rotterdam Week outsider. It only shows art works that don’t require walls. It is a thrilling art combination of young and established artists. This creates a unique interaction.
This year, NO WALLS is part of the Rotterdam Contemporary Art Fair, located in the World Trade Center.
5. Qade Solo Project in Cruise Terminal
A brand new event with mainly established Dutch galleries. Qade Solo Project promises a wide variety of contemporary artists who provide a powerful image of the current breadth and diversity in the art world.
Solos by established artists like Marc Mulders, Jan Henderikse, Armando and Bernard Frieze, next to young talents like Gurt Swanenberg, Stephan Gross and Florentijn de Boer.
Quade Solo Project closes our favorite top 5, but as a newcomer it has our special attention.
Art Rotterdam Week – visitors information
During this Art Rotterdam week, you can also visit museums and galleries around Museumpark and Witte de Withstraat. For example Kunsthal Rotterdam, Chabot Museum, Showroom MAMA, and Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art.
- Website for more information about all art fairs, exhibitions, pop-ups and the full programme.
- The 7th edition of RC Art Fair, planned to take place at the World Trade Center has been canceled.
- Different locations give discount on admission upon presentation of your Art Rotterdam ticket.
- A free shuttle service from Rotterdam Festivals connects all art fairs and activities in town. Route: Van Nelle Fabriek – HAKA building/AVL Mundo – Euromast – Museumpark – Wilhelminapier – Museumpark – AVL Mundo/HAKA building – Van Nelle Fabriek. Friday 9 feb: 11:00 – 21:30, Saturday 10 feb: 11:00 – 19:30, and Sunday 11 feb: 11:00 – 19:30, The shuttle runs every 20 minutes.
- Locations on Google Maps. CruiseTerminal, Van Nelle Factory, Deliplein, World Trade Center, HAKA building Rotterdam.