“Eye-popping, pumpin’, mind-bending”
Hooray! Our hometown Rotterdam is voted number five in the Top 10 cities in the world, by Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2016. According to experts, this is the most influential publisher of travel guides. Chief editor Tom Hall declared, Rotterdam is recognized for its wide range of art and culture, modern/post modern and contempory architecture, nightlife and top restaurants.
In a lyrically written recommendation by travel author Catherine Le Nevez, you can read the following 10 uplifting reasons.
- Eye-popping modern architecture like Markthal, De Rotterdam, Timmerhuis
- Inspired initiatives such as inner-city canal surfing
- Innovative redevelopments like the former Hofplein railway station
- Exceptional art at Museum Boijmans van Beuningen and the Kunsthal
- Historical heritage places like maritime museums and Delfshaven
- Pumpin’ clubs such as the century-old Maassilo
- Brand-shopping areas like the Beurstraverse and the Meent
- Forthcoming Paris–Amsterdam high-speed rail line stop at Central Station (late 2016)
- Mind-bending late 20th-century icons like the Cube houses
- Classic places like the Art Nouveau showpiece Hotel New York and artist-designed King Kong Hostel
World travelers highlight of the year
Lonely Planet ‘Best in Travel’ describes the best trends, destinations, journeys & experiences for the year ahead. For the travel and tourism industry, new editions always are exciting and influencing. Many globetrotters choose their new destinations based on the Top 10 countries, cities and regions, recommended by Lonely Planet.
Stepping out of the ordinary
The annual ‘must-see’ travel list is based on the wanderlust of Lonely Planet’s authors and online community. Each destination featured in this 11th edition, has passed through their critical selection process. Why? To inspire people and take them out of the ordinary. Or as Lonely Planet says on its ‘Top 10 cities’ webpage:
“From rejuvenated classics to under-the-radar destinations, our travel experts say these charismatic cities deserve a spot on your wish list.”
Lonely Planet ‘Best in Travel 2016’ city list
Together with these cities, Rotterdam is at the top of the Lonely Planet ‘Best in Travel 2016’ list.
Kotor – Montenegro
Quito – Ecuador
Dublin – Ireland
George Town – Malaysia
Rotterdam – The Netherlands
Mumbai – India
Fremantle – Australia
Manchester – England
Nashville – USA
Rome – Italy
“One of Europe’s most exhilarating cities”
Of course, we are very excited about it. Rotterdam is the only Dutch city included on the list for next year. Our hometown is named “one of Europe’s most exhilarating cities”.
For us city bloggers, this recognition is a very good reason to write more Rotterdam stories, featuring lots of new photos and videos. This city is definitely worth it. Not only in our opinion, as it turns out!